Travel and Accommodation Allowance

The Department of Training and Workforce Development assists apprentices and trainees with travel and accommodation related to the completion of their off the job training component. Full information about TAA is available our website.

To lodge a Travel and Accommodation Allowance Claim you will need to have a Western Australian Apprenticeship Management System (WAAMS) account. If you do not have a WAAMS account you can request one online.

All claims must be submitted within 60 days of the completion of the apprentice’s training or attendance period for the claim to be eligible.

The Department has developed a user guide if you need help lodging your claim.


You may be eligible for travel and /or accommodation allowance if you:

  • Travel more than 70kms to off the job training that is funded by the Department of Training and Workforce Development
  • are listed on the Department’s training records system as an active or suspended apprentice or trainee during the claimed period; and
  • have a residential home address within Western Australia.

You may not be eligible for travel and /or accommodation allowance if you:

  • have a training status which is withdrawn, cancelled, completed, pending or expired at the time the approved training was undertaken;
  • are paid a Travel and Accommodation Allowance by your employer while attending off the job training;
  • have an employer who incurs the total cost of your travel and accommodation; or
  • travel to a training provider location which is not the closest training venue approved to deliver off the job training.

Travel distances and eligibility:

There is a minimum round trip distance which must be travelled to claim assistance. This is calculated based on the shortest possible road distance from your usual place of residence to the closest training provider location and return using Google Maps. This is regardless of the method of transport used to get to the training venue.

The minimum round trip distance must be at least:

  • 71 kilometres for travel allowance
  • 150 kilometres for accommodation allowance
  • 1100 kilometres for travel by air

If you travel in the same vehicle as another trainee/apprentice — only one person can claim the travel component of the allowance.